Friday, August 27, 2010

Will the Real Slim Shady Please...

Put a pacifer in your mouth...



Sadly I think I have made a big mistake.  As my loving husband put it, "You have introduced our son to probably the raunchiest rapper out in the music industry."  Parenting Fail!

Let me explain. Sometimes while driving I flip through my CD changer and don't realize what is playing while Colton is in the car.  Unfortunately (for him not me because I really like the CD) I have the new Eminem in my disc player. 

                                                          Not.One.Clean.Song.On.It. 

So, I play music, get into it and then realize, ummm maybe not appropriate for my child.  It is so hard to change my music listening habits for him.  I love all kinds of music and so does Jason.  I feel like he will be a well versed child in the art of music.  His father is even musically talented.  (I like to think I was with my few years of violin and I even learned how to play a recorder when I was little...Haha).  So we would love for him to be a fan of all things music.

Anyways, back to the point.  One day while driving in the car he got a little cranky in the back.  I turned the music on and started to jam out singing to him just to see if it would quite him.  Shockingly, it did!

The song: Love the Way You Lie by Eminem and Rihanna

Colt got so into it that he was actually singing.  Well, yelling and cooing is singing to him but his voice is beautiful to me. 

The other day we are in the car and he starts to get really cranky again.  I tell Jason to turn the cd player on and go to song 15. What happens; instant silence from Colton as soon as the song comes on.  Jason realizes what just happened and what song is playing and congratulates me on earning the Mother-of-the-Year award (just kidding; he was just shocked that the song worked to soothe him).  This is the only song that does it for him in the car.  I do not know why and I know it is not good for him to listen to some of the lyrics.  The only way I make myself feel better about letting him listen to the song is that I claim he only listens to the chorus because that is the cleanist part.

Note to self: Clean out CD collection in car and replace with classical CDs. 

1 comment:

LWLH said...

Lol....for being a bad message song, I love it too! :)