Friday, September 11, 2009

8 years ago

Eight years ago I woke up and did my typical morning routine of getting ready for class. I sat on the couch in my boyfriends living room (now my husband and yes mom I slept over there but hey, it worked out) waiting for his roommate to be ready to catch the bus to campus. For some reason I turned on the t.v., which I normally did not do. As everyone else watched so did I. I saw the first plane hit and called his roommate into the living room. We sat there in confusion of what we were watching. We went to catch the bus and listened to the chatter of everyone discussing what was going on.

By the time I got on campus there was silence. I entered my class to see the television on. Our professor informed us that there would be no class today but we were welcome to stay and watch the reports of the events going on. She told us to call our family and friends if needed. I proceeded to leave and call my father (he is retired military and I figured maybe he could give me answers) plus I wanted to make sure my family was okay. He asked me to stay put and not leave campus. At that time in the day, confusion was still going on as to if there would be more attacks. My family was safe and that is all that matter to me at the time. I walked around campus to see everyone gathering around in groups. I heard people crying that they could not get a hold of family members who worked in the towers and the Pentagon. All I wanted was to go home.

I eventually found Jason and went back to his apartment with him. The entire day was spent watching the news and crying. That night and for the rest of the week candles were placed in the windows and balconies all over campus. It was a small gesture of remembrance and unity of my university for the lives that were lost that day.

Every year on September 11th I take time to recall where I was when it happened. It is something that everyone in America does. It helps me recall a time of tragedy and togetherness; a day that I will never forget.

"We remember with reverence the lives we lost...On this day that marks their death , we recall the beauty and meaning of their lives." President Obama


1 comment:

LWLH said...

I was in my sophomore biology class and my teacher just started geeking out...we watched tv for the rest of the day to see what was happening.